Visitors-You Are Our Special Guests
Visitors are always our special guests at Johnson Avenue and we welcome visitors from the local area as well as those visiting the San Diego area. Our congregation is filled with people from all walks of life and we believe that you will find us to be a warm and friendly group of people that love God and each other.
When you visit, we hope that you will plan to stay a short while following worship to allow us to say hello and get to know you. We would love for you to fill out a visitor’s card so that we may thank you for your visit.
What to Expect
When we assemble together, we join our hearts and minds to praise and honor God and to encourage one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody to the Lord with your (our) heart, giving thanks always and for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, submitting to one another out of reverence for Christ.” (Eph. 5:19-21).
We follow the pattern of gathering and worshipping as taught and exampled in the New Testament. When we meet, here is what you can expect to occur:
- Bible Class: Johnson Avenue has Bible classes for all ages (6-months and beyond) beginning at 9:00 am. Click below to see what is currently happening in our Bible classes:
- Worship Service: Our Sunday morning worship service begins at 10:00 am and ends at approximately 11:15 am. Our service consists of:
- Singing Just like the first century Christians we read about in the Bible, we will sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs (Ephesians 5:19).
- Prayer Time will be spent praying to our Heavenly Father (Acts 2:42).
- The Lord’s Supper On Sundays we will partake of the Lord’s Supper as Jesus instructed to do on the first day of the week (1 Cor 11:23-29).
- Giving On Sundays a plate will be passed around the congregation for our members to give a contribution from their earnings (1 Cor 16:1-2). Visitors are never asked to give. You may if you would like, but it is not expected.
- Preaching and Teaching There will be a lesson from God’s word (Acts 20:7). We strive to have our sermons apply to everyday living. We hope that if you have any questions, you will ask any member following the worship service.
During the lesson we have Kids Bible Time for children from 2 through 4 years of age. The children will hear a special lesson that is age-appropriate for them.
- We gather together again each Sunday evening at 5:00 pm to study God’s word and to further encourage and edify one another as we begin another week. The service is not a repeat lesson from the morning service. The Lord’s Supper is provided for anyone who was unable to attend in the morning and would like to partake.
Wednesday Evening: 7:00 pm – 8:00 pm
- Wednesday evenings are designated for Bible study and singing. The first, second, and third Wednesday of each month, Bible classes are provided for all (6-months and beyond). Johnson Avenue devotes the fourth (and fifth when applicable) Wednesday for singing praises to God, including learning new songs of praise and edification. On the last Wednesday of every month (usually the 4th, sometimes the 5th) the Spanish speaking brethren join us for singing and encouragement in both English and Spanish.
Click here for the topic of the current study.
Our greatest joy is that when you visit you will leave edified and encouraged to follow Christ.